US Airways operated as the primary carrier in the US from 1937 until March 2015, when it merged with American Airlines. In April 2015, the FAA granted the merged airlines a single operating certificate, marking the end of operation for US Airways.
With the companies merged, the loyalty programs where frequent flyers could earn miles and redeem them for rewards also joined. In addition, all travelers with US Airways miles combined with their American Airlines miles in their AAdvantage account can log in with their AAdvantage login details.
Since US Airways now operates as American Airlines, travelers can earn, redeem, and transfer miles from their AAdvantage account. In addition, through DoNotPay’s Convert Points and Miles product, you can quickly transfer your American Airlines miles to another account.
Where Can I Transfer American Airlines Miles to?
American Airlines allows you to earn miles from almost every activity you undertake in your day-to-day life through their partners in every sector. For example, you can earn points through:
- Flying with partner airlines like American Eagle
- Booking into hotels like Marriott
- Car rentals
- Vacation packages
- Shopping online
- Shopping your favorite brands
Once you have accumulated your miles, you can redeem them for great rewards like free flights or transfer them to another member of the AAdvantage loyalty program.
American Airlines has a Transfer Miles program that allows AAdvantage members to transfer miles from their AAdvantage account into other AAdvantage members’ accounts. You can transfer your miles into an account, and the relationship between you and the recipient doesn’t matter.
Here’s what you need to know before transferring miles to another account:
- You can only transfer 1000 miles or more.
- You can transfer or receive up to 200,000 miles in a period of one calendar year.
- You can transfer miles to multiple accounts as long as you do not exceed 200,000 miles in a year.
- Miles transferred through the program will not expire as long as there’s an activity in the account to earn or redeem miles.
- Transferred miles do not count towards AAdvantage Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, or AAdvantage Executive Platinum qualification.
- Transferred miles cannot be reclaimed into your account, and the incurred fees during the transfer are non-refundable.
- When transferring miles, the transaction processing fee is $0, but other charges like taxes are applicable.
How to Transfer American Airlines Miles on Your Own
Before initiating a transfer, ensure that you have all the important information regarding the recipient at arm’s length. Here’s how to transfer American Airlines miles to another account:
- Go to AAdvantage Buy, Gift, or Transfer Miles page.
- Log in to your AAdvantage page using your AAdvantage number or username
- Find “Transfer Miles” and enter the required information. The charges may be $15 for every 1000 miles.
- The miles will be deducted immediately from your account but may take up to 24 hours to complete processing.
The recipient can use the miles immediately once the transfer is completed.
Here is a table comparing American Airlines Miles to other major airlines:
|Airline Reward Program||Miles||Standard Mileage Value (in Dollars)||Priority/Business/First Class Mileage Value (in Dollars)|
|American Airlines AAdvantage Miles||1||$0.012||$0.025|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards||1||$0.014||$0.015|
|British Airways Avios||1||$0.008||$0.019|
How to Transfer American Airlines Miles with the Help of DoNotPay
While America Airlines has made it easy to transfer miles to other accounts, the transaction costs and other additional charges may make the process more expensive than it should be. DoNotPay provides you with a better and cheaper way to transfer your miles without hassle.
Here’s how DoNotPay’s Convert Points and Miles product works.
1. Search “points” or “rewards” on DoNotPay, and select the rewards program you’re a part of / the type of points you have. In this case, choose airline miles and continue to the next step.
2. Choose whether you want to check your points balance, transfer your points, or sell them for cash. Since you are looking to transfer your miles to another account, find an option that allows you to do just that and proceed.
3. If you select one of the first two options, DoNotPay can check your points balance or transfer your points for you. Otherwise, we can help you find the best deal through third-party vendors.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
You can do the following through DoNotPay’s Convert Points and Miles product:
Check out DoNotPay’s Convert Points and Miles product page for more information and get the help you need.